Here it is!

I’m so excited to present my very first blog post! I want to preface this by saying that I’m super excited for the New Year!

I have been wanting to create content that showcases some of the behind-the scenes work that goes into my photography, as well as provide a little glimpse into my life!

This whole shoot was done in my last year in the NAIT  Photographic Technology program and.. my first time photographing underwater.

Thankfully, our program head, Reg, was on hand to help with setting up the underwater housing that protects the camera. This is a very tedious process that requires the cleaning and lubrication of each individual piece of the housing, before placing the camera inside. As the pool contains chlorine, extra care has to be used to ensure the housing is clean, as the chlorine can break down the whole system.

Our original model cancelled last minute, and my best friend/fellow photographer, Natasha graciously stepped in to model!

Check out her work at  http://natashabb.format.com/

Check out the behind the scenes video, to see the underwater shooting process!

A Couple Points:

  • This pool was frigid, like super cold. Now I realize that I’m a very tiny person, but it’s almost unbearably cold!
  • Kudos to Natasha, the amount of energy it takes to model, let alone underwater, is overwhelming! She did a phenomenal job!
  • This shoot would not be possible without Reg and Ann! Thank you so much!
  • My whole purpose behind these photos, was to create a feeling of isolation. I really wanted to play up the dark tones and shadows.
  • This creates a fine art feeling that I have always wanted my work to showcase.

This is a before and after shot of  my favorite image from the shoot!

For Fellow Photographers:

This edit achieved primarily in Adobe Lightroom.  Mostly through experimentation, all of the images were edited using the same settings and then fine tuned individually.

This is what my Lightroom panel looked like! To play up the isolation I used some gradient and radial filters to isolate her from the background.

Not pictured above, I used the HSL sliders to adjust the luminosity of the blues to darken them, as well as adjust her skin tone so it glows!

From here the images were imported into Photoshop, where I used the patch and clone tool to remove some of the pool rings/floor.

I also dodge and burned the image to guide the viewer through the images!

 

Thank you so much for reading! Have a look at the other images from this set below!